The field of Special Education has a unique role in public education. Teachers in the field work with a variety of students in both age range as well as exceptionality. Teaching special education takes a unique person with passion, determination, and patience.
As our program at Campbell continues to grow, many opportunities are established for students. Students observe in classrooms and work hand in hand with special education teachers. The program at Campbell offers students the opportunity to learn the planning processes, understand the development of different disorders, develop the skills necessary to manage their class, and prepare lessons for their students. You also learn how to communicate effectively with parents, colleagues, and your administration. Your program is designed to help you become well prepared as you enter the world of teaching.
Students who successfully complete teacher licensure in this field have many teaching opportunities. Teachers in the field are eligible to teach at the preschool, elementary, middle and high school level. A unique advantage with the certification is your additional license in elementary education. This is based on the required North Carolina test.
Unique areas include resource classrooms, self-contained classes, team teaching as well as specialized opportunities at the central office level.
General college courses are required for licensure and graduation. Specific courses required for special education majors include the following:
- SPED 331 Adolescents with Exceptionalities
- SPED 350 Mild/Moderate Disabilities
- SPED 351 Curriculum/Collaboration and Transitions
- SPED 370 Teaching Students with Learning Disabilities
- SPED 371 Interventions BED Student and Students with Autism
- SPED 372 Diagnosis and Assessment in Special Education
- SPED 438 Program Planning in Special Education
- SPED 455 Adaptive Technologies in Special Education
- EDUC 470 Student Teaching
- Special Education Schema Sheet For Students Enrolled Prior to Fall 2019
- Special Education Schema Sheet For Students Enrolled Beginning Fall 2019
For more information contact Lisa Bradham, firstname.lastname@example.org